Friday, August 24, 2007

Library Thing (thing 11)

Here is what I don't get about Library Thing... why wouldn't they suggest tags to you at the point of entering your books into your "library". Why are they making me re-create the wheel?

Del.icio.us hellpfully lists suggested tags, both the tags that I have used and tags that others who have tagged this very page used to describe it. After all, the value that accrues to tags happens when more and more "taggers" assign the same one to the same item and then use it again for similar items.

Even if I add a title from the Search screen, once I click on edit I loose the ability to see whowothers have tagged it. So basically, I have to have two windows or tabs open and perform the search twice. This is NOT intuitive and does NOT save me time.

CARL was at one time looking closely at Library Thing as an add-on to CARLWeb, but I would not thing it would add much value unless it could operate a lot more like Del.icio.us.

Oh... here is my "library".

No comments: